December trip to Prague

So, I was on a two day trip to Prague. Aim was to visit three photography exhibitions, meet my friends Radek and Martina who had recently moved in the city and to shoot some photos. Mission 100 % completed.

Prague is too crowded. Too many tourists that want to see historical center of the city. Christmas markets on every square I passed. I wasn't sight seeing. I walked around and photographed people - beggars, homeless, junkies, street performers, people in the subway, Japanese tourists taking selfies on Charles bridge, shadows of the people and statues. And of course I made couple of photos from the train window. I am already looking forward to see some of the photos when they are processed.

I was happy to see some photography exhibitions as there are always lots of events going on in Prague compared to Ostrava. Hard to compare these two cities actually. Ostrava looses in this field. No doubt.

First exhibition I had visited was in newly opened gallery in Czech Photo Centre. They were displaying works of Jaroslav Kucera - documentary photographs from Sudetenland (Sudety) mostly captured in 90's. He photographed people from social periphery. Moreover the area where he was photographing was considered as periphery for decades. I enjoyed it a lot and I also purchased a book that was published along with this exhibition.

Second exhibition I had visited was displaying photographs by Tomki Nemec and the exhibition was about Vaclav Havel. Tomki Nemec was a personal photographer of president Vaclav Havel. This exhibition takes place in DOX  center of contemporary arts. It was special for me. Partly because I like photography style of the author and partly because I liked the former Czech president V. Havel. One room, which was also part of this exhibition was filled with photographs of another photographer Bohdan Holomnicek, who was Havel's friend and he was photographing him since 70's. He made many strong photos of Havel, his wife and friends, but their presentation isn't ideal in my opinion. Many small prints were fixed on one huge wall, which made it difficult to focus on particular photo. Some more significant and stronger photos were a little bit lost among others I think. All in all it is a fantastic exhibition. And, a book called Vaclav Havel – Tomki Nemec, Photographs is on my wishlist for this Christmas.

 I don't visit Prague very often, so I wanted to use my time well. So, at the end of my short trip I had visited exhibition Czech Press Photo 2016 . Exhibition of winning photographs from the  annual journalistic photography contest.This exhibitions is situated in the Old Town Hall on Old Town Square in a historical center. As there were Christmas markets there were thousands of people outside and I was hardly able to get through the crowd of tourists. But I got inside. Some of the photos and some categories were interesting, but I don't understand the whole concept of this contest. It is supposed to be a journalistic photography contest, but there are too many categories that are weakening the impact of the whole exhibitions/contest/. We could see photos from war areas on one wall and than there was a series called "boredom in ZOO" on a next wall. I had mixed feelings. But still I liked works of couple photographers  - Ton, Hurych, Klicperova, Dvorak, Zajac. Overall, I think it is unbalanced in terms of themes/categories and various quality of photos.

I saw this exhibition just an hour before a departure of my train. While waiting on my delayed train I made photos of people waiting on a main train stations.

I was happy I used my time well.

And I was happy to escape from the hectic city when I finally sat in the train.

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, September 2016

documentary photography
Ostrava - Vitkovice, July 2016

documentary photography
Ostrava - Privoz, September 2016

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, September 2016

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, September 2016

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, September 2016

documentary photography
Ostrava, September 2016

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, August 2016

documentary photography
Frydek-Mistek, September 2016


P.

Comments