What do I shoot?

So, in my last post I turned around and asked myself how was my photography year. In today's post I will turn around again to view my photos of this year that is coming to its end.

I made lots of photos. I was photographing with not so clear intent. Therefore my public photos has been of various themes. And therefore it was easy to get distracted my path. I didn't have a road map. So I organized my photos, selected favorites of 2016 and thought about them. I realized that there are themes and places where I was shooting more often. And that there are photos that I feel stronger connection with.

Most of the time, when I was making decision "where I am going to shoot today?" I was drawn  by some invisible  "magnetic" force to the periphery areas. To the districts with poor people, mostly gypsies, living in ruined houses, areas with social problems. But I wasn't looking for the poorness, decay and sadness. This wasn't my subject. I have been looking for traces of people and life in these areas. It is almost "culture within the culture" with different pace, with different rules, attitude and values. And somehow I feel people's liberty side by side with poorness. It is an old word, that has not disappeared yet.  I am fascinated by all of this, and that's why I want to capture it while places like this still exists.

I often end up wandering in those areas that people call ghettos. They are not necessarily at the border of the city, they are often part of the city centers. In Ostrava I know couple of such places and  I keep coming back there. Just like today and yesterday.

These streets are always very alive. No matter how cold or hot it is, there are always people around, walking here and there. Especially kids. I already know faces of some of the kids I see there. These kids are always excited to see a man photographing around. Up to five or seven years of their age, they would ask me to make a photo of them. That would make them very happy. They would dance or do funny faces. They even run to me along the whole street and ask me to make a photo of them. They don't seem to be shy. Sometimes they don't even ask to check LCD to see the photo. They are happy to be on the photo and that's all. Also, I am a strange intruder that comes to their territory, so they are very curious. Well, adults not so much as they don't show interest to see me around.

So the first series, or theme, that I am aware of is "people/life in the periphery". Not necessarily gypsies, but people at the edge of the society in general (homeless, junkies, beggars etc.).

But there is also other theme that shows up in my favorite photos, but my intent has unclear contours. I can't name yet. This would be represented by photos from the dark underpasses, train stations, pubs. With lonely people. Blurred and grainy. Showing raw, cold and grey environment. People lost in the city, with their souls, troubles. And maybe lost in the time.

I have a path to walk on. I have themes to develop yet and explore in 2017.

documentary photography
Kojetin, October 2016
documentary photography
Baska, September 2016
documentary photography
Ostrava, October 2016
documentary photography
Ostrava, September 2016
documentary photography
Ostrava, September 2016
at home, shadows
Baska, at home, September 2016
¨street photography
Ostrava, October 2016
street photography
Ostrava, October 2016
street photography
Ostrava, October 2016

documentary photography
Celadna, October 2016

P.

Comments

  1. One thing is sure when i see your photos , you have a good instinct for story and framing ( personnaly i miss your colors , but dont bother )even if you are wandering with no purpose ; but is it not the main goal for being a street photographer , finding the story . Wish you a well full frame 2017 year

    yvan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too. I do have purpose when shooting. This text is about a self awareness. About identifying my themes.

      Delete

Post a Comment